Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Old Connections

Have you spent much time on Facebook? You can easily get sucked in for longer than you imagined. It’s an interesting way to keep in touch with people and reconnect with folks you haven’t spoken to in many, many years. Case in point: A few weeks ago I got a friend request from a woman I knew in junior high school, we were Branciforte Bees together way back in the day! I was trying to remember the last time we spoke and as near as I can pin point it I think it we were juniors in high school. By that time we were at different high schools and had started to drift apart somewhat. Anyway, she lives in Poulsbo now! I was planning to be on Bainbridge Sunday for a potluck at a friend’s house and thought “What the heck, we should try to get together for a cuppa or something!”

I took the 10:35 ferry over, got off the ferry and looked around somewhat bewildered wondering how in the heck would I ever find her. I heard my name, my junior high name which I decline to share with you here ;) and recognized her instantly! The memories came flooding back. We both proclaimed the other hadn’t changed a bit. Perhaps regarding curves and figures, well, let's just say we don’t have our 17 year old bodies any longer, but our faces, wow, those haven’t changed.


Do you have any friends that you can go for weeks, months, years without speaking to and when you see one another again you pick right up where you left off? Katie is one of those friends. We were instantly comfortable together, talking about everything/anything, I found myself telling her things that I haven’t ever told anyone except my mother, there was just that wonderful ease of presence together. What a wonderful feeling. And then there is all that shared history as well. We chatted and laughed trying to fit all of the last 25+ years into the conversation right now. Then I realized it was past 3 o’clock and I really ought to make an appearance at the pot luck, I had brought a frangipani tart and everything.


I am certain that we will see one another again soon, and I can’t wait!

1 comment:

Traci said...

that's awesome!!!! :)