Thursday, October 23, 2008

Some of My Other Summer Sewing Projects

In addition to the flannel shorts I was sewing up a few other things this summer as well. I made a tank top out of some fabric the mother had designated for a nightgown. It really looks like nightgown fabric, too. It fit pretty well, but I gave it to someone that would likely wear it more often than I would. She didn't mind the pattern. I thought it was perfect to test out new patterns until I got the fit dialed in. I made a t-shirt out of it as well, gave it to the same person. I realize that I need to go to curved neckline rather than a v-neck. I can't seem to get the change of direction to work properly. Grumble.

I also inherited a number of silk shirts, all of lovely rich colors. There was one
that seemed very simply designed. I traced it out on the pattern tracing paper I have and whipped up this purple flowered blouse. I think it's a rayon blend, so it drapes very fluidly, similar to silk. The collar turned out wider than I prefered, a bra strap tends to show much of the time. I made a second one (no pic, though) from a similar fabric, same purple but with larger less frequent flowers. The collar turned out better on the second one. I made a third from a cotton weave, it's a much stiffer fabric compared to the rayon blend. It doesn't drape nearly as nicely, but I love the pale turquoise color. It looks a lot like a hospital scrub top.

After I finished my pink ducky shorts I had
some fabric left over. My neighbor has a four year old daughter so I offered to try and make some pants for her. I borrowed a pair of simple elastic waist pants and traced them out. I simplified the pattern by eliminating the side seam, leaving only the inseam of both legs and the front to back center seam. There can never be pockets this way, though. Went together pretty quickly. But they are the reason I finished my blue duck feets shorts so late. J was very funny about the pants. First she didn't want to try them on and then we couldn't get them off her to be finished and finally she tried to lock Llelo in her bedroom so he could stay for a sleepover. I took Llelo up with me for the fittings, Gus isn't so fond of kids, so he was happier staying in the apartment. She adores Llelo and he seems perfectly happy to flop down next to her for tummy rubs and ear scritches. She tries to play fetch with him as well, but it gets complicated since her dog wants to play with Llelo or get in on the fetching, too.

After our outrigger capsize drill the first weekend in Oct I was chatting with some of the ladies about gear for winter paddling. I offered to stitch up some fleece hats. I copied a hat I found in a lecture hall at UCSC, chemistry class, way back in 1984. And whipped up these in a little over an hour. I still need to sew up some neck warmers as well, next on my list of things to do. That and a fleece pullover. I'm a little nervous about putting in a zipper, though.
For $5 you, too can have your very own fleece hat or neck warmer made expressly for you by me. Oh, and I think I have a pretty lame expression on my face when I am photographing my creations.

1 comment:

Fran said...

You are turning into quite the seamstress here! Good job!

I'd take one of the fleece hats since they look so warm and snuggly, but I don't wear hats. Even in Minnesota in winter, I avoided them. But they do look lovely!