Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Big Things in the Planning

This is going to be a very exciting year. I'm really enjoying my new outrigger club, practices are awesome and we have a lot of races planned for this year. There are three big outrigger races in the northern hemisphere. The biggest is the Moloka'i Crossing, a 42 mile change out race. Then there is Kona or more properly named Queen Lili'uokalani Long Distance Canoe Race, an 18 mile iron race. Iron means not change out, you race the entire distance without a break. And finally, there is the Catalina US Championships, crossing from Newport Beach Harbor across to Catalina Island. It's a 28 mile change out race. Last summer I set a personal goal for myself to do Catalina in 2009, Queen Lili'uo in 2010, and Moloka'i in 2011.

Tonight I had a meeting with Jasen and Sabine to discuss some logistics for doing Catalina this year. Jasen is heading up coordination of our team, Sabine is offering the voice of experience. And what do I bring? Loads of commitment and enthusiasm and willingness to help out where ever help is needed. It's looking exciting, we have a good group that seem interested in participating, we just need to have them commit and get on board with training.

I have lots more I want to share about my race schedule for this year, but the meeting went a while longer than I anticipated (it was over dinner so at least we didn't starve!) and I'm really tired. Practice was kinda tough and I was having trouble breathing, still getting over a cold/sinus infection and I felt like I was gasping the whole practice. Bleh and that was even after a few hits of the albuterol.

1 comment:

Poginess said...

whooo hooo...i made the blog. Jasen- the Catalina coordinator!