Wednesday, April 9, 2008

perhaps breathing isn't highly overrated

Do you recall a time not so very long ago when I said breathing was overrated and had had an allergic reaction to my allergy shots? That event started the ball rolling to try to determine the cause of the cough keeping me awake at night. Last Wednesday, a week ago, I went in for a test to determine whether or not I have asthma. It was loads of fun.

I got to do the spirometry or spiro test many, many times; that's the test to determine the volume of air your lungs are able to move during inhale and exhale. It involves taking a very deep breath in and then exhaling until you cough and/or fall over, then you exhale a little more just to make sure they got it all, at least that's what happens every time I do it. I generally have really good lung function. Between each spiro I had a nebulizer treatment of something designed to effect my breathing and lung capacity if I did indeed have asthma. By the third treatment my volume had dropped by 20%, indicating that I do, in fact, have asthma. I didn't have to do any more of the negative nebulizer treatments, the doctor had all the information he needed.

Then off to a different room. A new nebulizer chemical, this one to reverse the effects of the last. In addition to restoring my ability to breath normally it had the unpleasant side effect of making me jittery. Followed by yet another spiro test and some hurry up and wait for the doctor to come in. He's worth the wait; he listens really well and is very compassionate. His attention to details generally causes him to fall behind schedule and subsequently they book him with fewer patients throughout the day. He's put me on a low dose steriod inhaler as a long(er) term treatment and albuterol for when things become exiting and I need help breathing now.

I think it's too soon to tell if there is any improvement, but I am hopeful. You can believe I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Fran said...

Ahh, now you and Lillian have something to compare notes on. Her asthma has improved greatly since we've been up here, but it still catches her sometimes. People forget that asthma can kill; it's not something to be lightly dismissed. I'm glad you got yours looked into and that something positive is being done. Good for you!