Monday, June 23, 2008

And OC1 on Sunday

As you may remember I was planning to paddle to Red Hook Brewery via the Sammamish River on Sunday. I heard enough negative feedback that I decided to scrap the idea and I believe I've come up with a much better idea. I/we can paddle to Agua Verde in Lake Union via Lake Washington and the Montlake Cut! I am totally down for margaritas and mexican food. I think the only place that has better rice and beans is Wahoo's Fish Taco and the only time I get that is when I'm visiting the Bro in CO (or SoCA, where I travel far less frequently than CO). Anyhoo.. I went to neither Red Hook or Agua Verde, saving it for another time. Anyone want to come along?

I did meet Lianne and her son, Kyle, to go for a nice out and back paddle from SSP. We headed north at a modest pace. We didn't want Kyle to fall too far behind and he wasn't feeling too motivated to paddle. He wanted to surf the wake left by passing boats.

I ultimately decided to paddle hard 10 minutes out and catch up with them on my way back. At my turn around point there were two people in kayaks out having a nice Sunday paddle. The guy decided he wanted to keep even with me. HA! As if my (not so thinly veiled) competitive nature would allow that!?! I dug in and pushed a little harder, but actually not that much more, and completely dropped him. I had brought my camera along in the waterproof housing so I stopped to shoot a couple snaps. As I was finishing he came up alongside me commenting on how my boat really moves. 'Damned right it does', I thought to myself. "Yup", I said to him. We chatted a moment and then I picked up the pace for the remaining 1.5 miles back to the beach, where I finally caught up with Lianne and Kyle. Turns out they headed back straightaway and surfed their way in. I'll post a pic once I get them downloaded.

1 comment:

Fran said...

You? Competative? ;-)

You're really going to enjoy the nice weather now, and I'm tickled that it has been so beautiful. It sounds like you're feeling better all the way around.