Thursday, March 27, 2008

It Was A Brilliant Plan ...

I have come to really like bread pudding. It's something my mother always enjoyed but when she'd bake it I tended to think it was gross. What can I say, I was younger, much younger, and less willing to try different things. Then one day I saw a recipe on the side of a rice milk container. I thought I'd give it a try. Yum-mee! I had this epiphany at least a year before my mother passed away so I could inform her of my previous foolishness and let her know I'd finally come around to be a believer.

A consistent problem I've had with my bread puddings is the raisins, they tend to float to the top and burn or if I've poked them down they sink and burn at the bottom. A friend suggested soaking them in hot water for a while before putting them into the mixture. Ya, good idea, still ended up with burnt raisins, not quite as many but it still wasn't the solution I'd hoped for. The other day at Trader Joe's I had a flash of brilliance: I bought a couple loaves of cinnamon raisin bread! This morning it was time to test the theory. I was slicing the bread and managed to take a chunk of the fleshy part of my thumb in addition to the bread! Yowza! I could tell right away this was more than just a regular band-aid type of flesh wound. I called Diane who agreed to give me a ride to the hospital. After 45 minutes I told Diane it was ok for her to head back to work, that Mark would come collect me after they were finished. I waited in the ER for over three hours! And was still never seen. I had called Mark and asked him to try and locate an urgent care clinic, which he did. There is one on Aurora and 85th. The doctor had already started to clean the wound before I finished the first page of my paperwork, that really smarted. An injection of something-caine, followed by two sutures, then a massive hand wrap. The doctor filled out her paperwork, asked me to make sure to sign the page giving her permission to treat me, and then I finished my sign-in paperwork. Then off to sign-in and out, and then take my leave. Took all of 25 minutes enter to exit. I'm definitely going there next time I try to hack off a limb.

After Mark brought me home I was faced with a large pile of cut up bread and no bread pudding. On the plus side, such as it is, my injury occurred during the next to last cut of bread. Now all I needed to do was beat the eggs and make the custard. It's in the oven baking and my hand is starting to really hurt. I think I need to take a break. I'll post back after I've tested the new iteration of the bread pudding. Oh, and if I hadn't decided to pass on the race due to my back I'd have to for the sutures. Bummer!

The bread pudding is out of the oven now. It's pretty tasty, not quite what I'd hoped in terms of the raisin factor. Biting into a plump, juicy raisin is just yummy. I think I'll try the soaking again, someone else suggested soaking in boiling water, I'd used hot tap water last time. I'll keep you all posted on the next iteration of the bread pudding test!

1 comment:

Fran said...

First of all, OUCH!!

And the emergency room stuff sucks!

On the bread pudding issue, though, Lillian says she prefers bourbon in her bread pudding, and I suspect with enough bourbon in your pudding, you won't even notice the scorched raisins!

And it's medicinal!