Wednesday, March 19, 2008

mid-week post

I'd hoped to post Tuesday night but never quite got to it. We ended up having seven people plan to come down, a little challenging in a six person boat. I used it as a weak excuse to take out my spiffy new boat. I'd planned to take it easy, my back was still acting twingey from last Saturday, it's not always an easy thing to do, either. I still need to get the technique down for assembling the boat, Tuesday was the first time I'd done it completely myself. Soon it will be easier, quicker, and more smooth. I got down to the water just as the OC6 was being put in. I figured I'd have to work to try and keep up with them, but they took their time figuring out what they wanted to do for their workout. I decided not to wait and headed off to the north, thinking they would catch me in fairly short order. I was trying to settle into a nice pace, kept it around 5 mph. Looking at my gps I could see I'd made it about 1.7 miles when the gps pooped out, I think it needs new batteries. I looked back and the OC6 was a bit north of Matthew's Beach. I continued north until I passed around a no wake bouy and headed back towards SSP. I paused for a moment to try hitting the power button on the gps, it came back to life and seemed to work properly the rest of the way back to the beach. Round trip I went about 3.5 miles, maybe a bit further and maintained that 5 mph pace for the bulk of my paddling time. It was good without over taxing my back. I was able to take apart the boat more easily than it went together and came back home for a quick supper and a bit more work I had to finish up. In all a good afternoon/evening.

Tomorrow should be a good paddle. We've got 6 already lined up for practice. I'll go in the OC6 this time. We have gotten some workouts from Kristen so we will have some good training exercises to work on. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: