Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A quiet but good day

I cracked an eyelid open and saw 7:30 on the clock, then closed the eye again until the snooze alarm went off 10 minutes later. Llelo came up for some snuggles and settled in to wait until I showed true signs of life. Ultimately got up around 8, let the dogs out, fed the dogs, prepared my coffee, and settled in to get some work done. I got through quite a bit of work, more than I expected, even. I guess 42 really is the ultimate answer.

I got to the spa around 6:30, flashed my id and got free admittance. I did have to pay for the body scrub and body moisturizing, though. I got my robe, cap, and towels and headed back to the locker room. After I changed I went down to the little restaurant they have. I got the chicken bimbimbap (I know that's spelled incorrectly) and it was quite tasty. I avoided those things that looked like they had spicy sauce added, and the ginger tea was awesome.

After dinner I headed into the tub room, took my shower and hit the 97 degree tub. You have to soak for at least 30 minutes before your body scrub, softens things up. When they called my number I went behind the bamboo curtain to the brightly white tiled area where they have rows of massage style tables with heavy white vinyl covers, easier to keep clean. My technician was a petite Korean woman who's name tag read Angie. You start out face down and they pull on the scrubby gloves. I quickly realized she was putting a bit more umph into the scrub than the previous time I went, either that or I'd forgotten how scrubby it was last time. It was not unlike being gone over with a sanding block, not the 60 grit, more like the 200 or a little bit finer even. They sluice you down with hot water and then start scrubbing at one foot, working their way up the leg, up the back, the first arm, across the shoulders, the second arm, down the back and down the other leg. And repeat about 3-4 times. Then on to the right side, repeat 4-5 times, then to the left side, repeat 4-5 times, then onto the back and repeat 4-5 times. Having my tummy massaged like a blob of bread dough feels really good. After you have been completely exfoliated they use those odd scrunchy balls of mesh weave stuff and soap all over to wash away all the skin bits they've rubbed off. It all feels so good and relaxing. When Angie was finished she sent me to sit in the dry sauna for a few minutes while she prepped the table for the moisturizing phase.

Angie came and got me and took me over to the mugwort pool. She then poured mugwort water all over me, it feels and smells so good. Then back to the table. The moisturizing involves having honey, olive oil, and milk rubbed all over your body. Having these ingredients massaged into your body is just delightful. Again I started face down and Angie started the same pattern as with the scrub. Then I flipped over and repeated it all on the front side. When she got to my face it was then best thing ever. There was a part of it that reminded me of the brushes when you take your car through the car wash, fwappeta, fwappeta, fwappeta starting at one side and moving around to the other. When she was finished I had been transported to a nirvana-like place. I remember thinking that was totally worth what they charged, just for the face thing! Then she placed cucumber slices over my eyes and shredded cucumber over the rest of my face and neck. It was startlingly cool and dripped down the sides of my neck. It was very hard not to giggle when she did that. She also laid warm towels over the rest of me and left me to steep for a bit. Then she came back and wiped off all the honey and milk and olive oil, cleaned me all up, wished me happy birthday, and sent me on my way.

I made my way home in a warm fog, feeling relaxed with smooth and supple skin. I finished that last package of data and packed my bag for tomorrow. In all it's been a pretty good birthday. The only down side, didn't get any chocolate cake! I'd thought about going down to Whole Foods to get a single serving one, but never quite made it that far. Guess I'll have to get it Wednesday after work.

2 comments:

Traci said...

I so badly want to go to a spa..... sounds like you had a lovely time!

Fran said...

You could drive after that? I'd want to sleep!

It does sound splendiferous, except the scrubbing of the feet. I have a thing about my feet being touched, but beyond that, oh my, it sounds like just the thing to help you realize that you truly ARE the answer to the question the mice were posing.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Girl! We will definitely have to find a place with good chocolate cake for you, even though it'll be after the fact.