Thursday, May 1, 2008

to infinity and beyond! ok, maybe just the 520 bridge

What a glorious evening. Such a dramatic difference from Tuesday night. Tuesday we were Nancy, me, Matt, Lianne, and her 11 year old son, Kyle, was steering us. He is a great young steersman, when he gets a bit older and bigger he will be a force to reckon with! The wind was coming hard out of the north. We paddled into it for half an hour or so and then headed back. There were white caps by the time we were back on the shore and it was rather hard getting the boat out of the water, the wind and waves were pushing it so hard. Ended up getting quite we and the wind was very cold.

Tonight was a bright sunny afternoon. The water was glassy flat. We ended up with Minnie, Nancy, me, Meilee, and Lianne steered us. We headed out towards the
dog park and then south towards the 520 bridge. We did a pyramid on the way out, increasing periods of intensity interspersed with 1 minute periods of active rest (paddling at a moderate pace). It was a little strange there was a motor boat that was following us, at least it felt like that. I think they were just heading over through the cut, but I think they were enjoying watching us paddle, too.

We turned around just before we got to the bridge. We took a moment to sip some water and I took a few snaps with my digital camera. I just got an underwater housing for it and wanted to test it out. All the photos posted here were taken with it today. At one point I stopped paddling to take a couple of snaps. Got a great complement from Meilee after I did that. She said you can really tell when I've stopped paddling, feels like we've practically started going backwards! I guess I *do* make a difference (smiles). The paddle back to SSP was lovely. We were in the groove and it felt really smooth and I felt like my stroke was flowing nicely. Twist, reach, drive, pull. Just the sound of me calling the changes and the water dripping off the edges of the paddles. The water was so glassy and there were occasional rollers from the boats going by. It was a perfect day for paddling. Days like today are what it's all about. It was a glorious 8 mile paddle today. Anyone want to go out tomorrow???


1 comment:

Traci said...

what great photos!!!! :)