Monday, January 14, 2008

In addiction the first step is admitting you have a problem

I have a problem. Not many people know about it, I try to keep it under wraps, to mixed success ... I love getting new outrigger paddles! No, really, you don't understand, over the course of 2007 I got a used paddle and two new paddles. I've only been involved in outrigger canoeing for 18 months. And now I've just placed another order. I just can't seem to stop myself.

The all wood paddles the club has for use are too heavy, they make my shoulders ache terribly. I bought a used 50" Dave's 99 hybrid (carbon fiber blade, wood shaft) late in 2006. It was so much lighter, it was like paddling a feather. Then I bought a used 52" Axel I hybrid in March 2007. The extra length was a nice improvement, extra reach, nicer for the OC6. Then over the summer I received a mid-year bonus from work, so I bought a brand new 52" Lolo, which has the Axel II blade on a wacky shaft (a double bend shaft, supposed to keep your lower wrist in a neutral position during the reach). And then in the fall after getting a bunch of grief from everyone about 'your paddle doesn't match' and 'you need to have a paddle like everyone else', I ordered a brand new 52" Axel II. I decided to use the Lolo when I'm paddling OC1 or OC2 and the Axel II when I paddle OC6.

So, now I have my eye on buying an OC1, it'll be a while but it's on my list of things to do. JD Davies of
Waterwalker was going to be in town with a bunch of OC1 to demo. While testing a variety of OC1 JD mentioned that my paddle appeared too long. He said, "Here try my 50" Helium blade on a wacky shaft". I think he did it on purpose. But I have to admit, it felt good, really good; now I want one, I need one, my life will be incomplete until I have one. I sent Meg from Kialoa an email, they just got their first factory blemished Helium blade, do I want her to hold it for me. She's making it too easy, she's an enabler, it's all her fault, ya blame it on Meg and Dave Chun (Kialoa Paddles), they are the cause of my problem. Bah, if only it were that easy, passing it off on them. In my defense I only buy the factory blemished blades, they have minor cosmetic flaws so are discounted.

So, there you have it. I have a problem, an addiction, I admit it. I'm just not ready to face it, to deal with it, not yet anyway. Certainly not before I get that new Helium paddle.

No comments: