Wednesday, January 16, 2008

My dog made me do it

Gus loves to fetch and if he can swim while fetching all is good in his world, no, all is excellent in his world. It is common knowledge that corgis are not particularly leggy, by a lot. At Magnuson Park we would head down to the dog beach for some swimming and fetching, nothing better than a happy tired dog. Our problem arises with the fact that most other dogs tend to have more leg than corgis. Gus is swimming in six inches of water, other dogs are walking in 20+ inches of water. I try to time my throw such that Gus should be able to get the toy without interference, on busy park days I spent most of my time cajoling other dogs to give back Gus' toy and Gus spent most of his time frustrated that I don't throw the toy for him. I finally decide that Magnuson is a big enough park that I should be able to find another place for Gus to swim and fetch uninterrupted.

One day we drove around the park looking for a good place to swim. On the north
end of the park I found a lovely little boat ramp, plenty of parking right there, the perfect location for Gus to swim and fetch. With no other dogs around Gus was much more willing to swim deeper, too. One day while swimming and fetching this boat full of people comes paddling towards our lovely little boat ramp. I started chatting with the paddlers, asking more about the sport and I decided that I should give it a try. I went out with them the following week and have never looked back! So there you have it, my dog, Gus, got me involved in outrigger canoe paddling. How many people can say that!

Now all this happened before Llelo was even born. I feel like he needs a little shout out, too. I live alone, it's common knowledge. Living alone I tend to leave the bathroom door open, a habit born of having cats for so many years. The door is closed they need, nay, REQUIRE access to the other side of the door, entering into a cyclic situation, hence I just leave the door open. Gus will come in and lay down at my fee
t, Llelo will check and see if cookies are forthcoming. I keep a small bowl of cookies on the bathroom counter. The other day I decided a little trick training was on the agenda. You know how some dogs can hold a treat on their nose and then with a command will flip the treat into the air, catch it and eat it. I tried this with Gus, he just tips his head down and eats the treat off the floor. Llelo seems hard wired to flip it in the air and catch it. He hasn't caught it yet, but he's pretty close. Now for the $64k question: which is the smarter dog?