Friday, February 8, 2008

Goin' to Portland

I emailed anyone I could think of that might be headed down for the race and might be interested in carpooling, nothing, no reply, nada, ziltch, zippo. Well, ok, got an email from Doug saying he was going to ride with someone else. It was going to be just me and Scotty, might as well bring the dogs along, too. Then I get a call from Scotty, decided that he wanted to be an active participant in our democracy and go to the caucus tomorrow, the nerve. As we were wrapping up our conversation, mind you this was around 5 pm this afternoon, I sat down at the computer and lo and behold there was a new message from Doug! If there is still room and I'm ok with it could he carpool with me, the other ride just fell through! Huzzah! I get to have conversation during the ride down! And no dog farts! I can subject myself to that but not so much other people I'd like to call friends.

We are meeting at 6:30 am Saturday morning down at SSP to load his boat onto my car. I loaded the boat I'll use this afternoon. And then off we go. Doug has raced this course before, said it has the potential for being as gnarly as the race up at Jericho. There is a long upriver leg before the turn and down river run and ending with a much shorter upriver leg. Again, hoping to meet my three goals and then some: 1) don't huli 2) finish 3) don't finish last! You can bet I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

No comments: