Monday, February 4, 2008

I went into science so I wouldn't have to write

I hated English classes in high school, actually I didn't like many of my classes in high school, except photography and math. I struggled with the whole symbolism within the writing thing. Why can't it just mean what it says? An irony of my senior year was that I took lots of journalism classes to meet college entrance requirements and I never wrote a single word, not for the entire school year. I took photos for the school paper and the yearbook, they were very good, but I still never wrote a word.

When I got into college I was very resistant towards any English or writing classes. It took me three tries to pass freshman English. I went into science so I wouldn't have to do any writing. Why didn't anyone tell me this plan was so seriously flawed!?! I took a year off from college to go to Indonesia to teach English, the understanding was that I would be teaching conversation and discussion classes. Imagine my surprise when they asked me to teach a writing class. I think that may have been the turning point in my ability to write. It was after I returned from Indonesia that I finally passed freshman English.

Over the last couple of years I think my writing has really improved. I still don't keep a journal and those free association writing exercises used to annoy the heck out me back in the day. I guess I am journaling, blogging has to be a type of journaling, I guess. I try to write the way I speak, for the most part. I think it makes it more interesting. My technical writing is pretty ok. I subscribe to the less is more school of thought. Who knew I'd finally come around and bond with the written word.

1 comment:

Fran said...

Welcome to the Dark Side! Lillian agrees that math is easier than words, but bit by bit she's also being dragged into word love too.

I, however, have always wallowed in words, but I have to count on my fingers. I'm pleased that you scientists and engineers exist, because if it was left up to me, we'd still be huddled under trees.

But we'd be writing about it all the time!