Friday, February 15, 2008

If Two Are Good, Does That Mean Four Are Better?

As a pet owner it's always a bit dicey whenever I need to leave town, who do I trust enough to care for my beloved pets, with the understanding, of course, that nobody can do it as well as I can. Sort of a similar thing when you need someone to look after your people kids for an evening. You are entrusting someone to be responsible for those lives you hold most dear. Diane, thank you for trusting me with your boys, it was an honor to spend the evening with them and I would happily do it again, preferably on a non-paddling night.

Marth has gone out of town from Friday to a week from Sunday and has entrusted the care of her two dogs to me. That means I now have four dogs in my 700 square foot apartment, along with all the other standard clutter that is my life. It feels a bit more lived in here now. Benjamin is an elderly lab, sweet but a little flatulent, and Bogey is the weirdest looking chihuahua I've ever met. After the initial barking, barking, barking upon arrival things seem to be settling down. Bogey is learning the command, "No barking", thank goodness. Benjamin has co-opted my boys dog bed preferentially over his own which I brought over and set in front of the wall heater, not like they use it much. Gus prefers my bed and Llelo prefers me. Bogey has taken Benjamin's bed which looks ginormous as backdrop for his 7 lbs.

Dinner will be interesting. Llelo will eat anything that looks like it might be food and Benjamin and Bogey are not known for finishing their meals in five minutes or less. The only reason Llelo doesn't try to finish Gus' food before Gus himself finishes it is that Gus and I would rip him in two. The rule is once the dish has been abandoned it's fair to go scavenge for for any flavor crystals that may have been over looked. There will be many flavor crystals in the visitor's bowls, I'm certain. Well, after a meal or two of going a little hungry they will likely finish what they are given. Nothing like a little competition for resources to make you finish your supper.

More tales (tails) and photos to follow ...

btw: sinus infections suck! I've actually begun to feel a bit worse and this is after being on augmentin for 10 days already, which is why I didn't get around to posting last night, was busy having headache and chills. Went back to the doctor today, got some new antibiotics and some predinsone. Fingers crossed I'll start to feel some better within a few days.

2 comments:

Fran said...

Oh please do take a picture of the little guy in the ginormous bed! How long are you a mommy to four?

Traci said...

I so understand this.... but from the opposite side. I just left my THREE for a WEEK!!!! I entrusted the lives I hold most dear to my friend who already has two of her own! And one of mine and one of hers dont' get along. :( She managed... and managed WELL for those 4 nights and 5 days.... I hope you have the same luck with your crew Melissa! :) Feel better soon!!!!