Friday, February 1, 2008

To Mosh Or Not To Mosh

Just got home from the Toasters show. Still awesome after all these years. I think the last time I saw them was 1998 maybe 1999. There were four opening bands, I arrived about halfway through the third band (Knock Me Down), they had a heavy punk sound but were pretty good. They cleared the deck for the fourth band (Ideal Green) who took for freakin' ever to set up and do a sound check and they sucked! It was bad, out of tune reggae/ska and they looked about 12, ok more like 17-18, but still. And they had a rapper buddy who came up on stage for a few 'songs', he sucked, too. Don't get me wrong, I like reggae, ska, and even some rap, but these kids have a lot of work ahead of them.

The Toasters got their gear on stage and were sound checked in maybe 15 minutes, it had taken the last guys over 30. Immediately the Toasters had the crowd jumping, me too! I remembered many of the songs they played from shows at Lupos Heartbreak Hotel in Providence, RI, they had a bunch of new ones, too, all rockin' good. The line up was almost completely different, Buck was the only member I recognized, but then he is the Toasters. He does most of the writing, singing, and plays lead guitar. I remember there were at least 7 guys on stage, sometimes 8 or 9 then. Tonight there were only 5, a striped down and lean Toasters, but they brought it.

Studio Seven has an interesting configuration, the bar is upstairs and you can look down over the mosh pit. It is also an all ages venue, at least it was for this show. I met a friend and we went upstairs to drink through the pain of the fourth band and stayed up there through the Toasters set. Perfect viewing of the mosh pit. It hurt just to look at them. I think the average age was probably 17 and they were slamming and pushing and having a grand time of it. Back in RI I would dance so enthusiastically I typically made an appointment to see my chiropractor the next day. There was no way I was setting foot in there tonight!

I got a new Toasters t-shirt, mine are all relegated to the sleeping quality, pretty ratty looking, and their newest CD, One More Bullet. I ordered a couple from their website and I couldn't remember which ones. Thankfully, their newest wasn't part of my order. I even got a photo with Buck taken with my cell phone, just have to figure out how to get it to my computer now. Any suggestions? In all a wonderful time was had by all. Hopefully the ringing in my ears will subside by morning! And now off to bed.

No comments: